Last update: 21 September 2021
Up to date information about the COVID-19 situation in Bulgaria including travel limitations, protective measures, social distancing rules and other restrictions.
Bulgaria classifies countries into 3 color coded groups, the green, orange and red zone. The list of countries will be reviewed at least once a week and, if necessary, updated on Mondays.
All persons entering the territory of Bulgaria from a green zone country, regardless of their citizenship, are admitted to Bulgaria on presentation of an EU Digital COVID Certificate or a similar document containing the same data as the EU Digital COVID Certificate with the proof that a person has either been vaccinated against COVID-19, received a negative test result or recovered from COVID-19. In the absence of a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate or a similar document, the person shall be quarantined for 10 days. The quarantine can be lifted by providing a negative PCR or rapid antigen test result if the test is carried out within 24 hours of entering Bulgaria.
Bulgaria only accepts completed vaccination, meaning at least 14 days must pass after getting the last dose.
The negative PCR test must be carried out up to 72 hours before the entry to Bulgaria while the negative rapid antigen test must be carried out within 48 hours prior to entry, counted from the date of the test recorded in the document.
Those who recovered from COVID-19 must present a positive PCR or antigen test result which must be between 11 and 180 days old.
Green zone countries
Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Finland, Norway, Vatican City, Czechia, Romania, Luxembourg, Denmark, Italy, Spain and Malta
Entering Bulgaria from red zone countries is not allowed except for citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland and their family members arriving from a member state of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland. Other exceptions may apply for transportation, medical workers etc. Persons arriving from red zone countries (and allowed to enter Bulgaria) can only be admitted to Bulgaria by presenting an EU Digital COVID Certificate or a similar document containing the same data as the EU Digital COVID Certificate with the proof that a person has either been vaccinated against COVID-19 or recovered from COVID-19 along with a negative PCR test result carried out up to 72 hours before the entry to Bulgaria. In the absence of vaccination or prior COVID-19 infection, a negative PCR test result is needed and the person shall be quarantined for 10 days.
Red zone countries
India, Bangladesh, Iran, Nepal, Myanmar, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Brazil, Republic of South Africa, Botswana, Tanzania, Seychelles, Namibia, Eswatini, Zambia, Palestine, Oman, Malaysia, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Columbia, Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Costa Rica, Suriname, Panama, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Cuba, Grenada, Dominican Republic, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, Fiji, Cyprus, United Kingdom, Georgia, Israel, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Ireland, Serbia and USA
All persons entering the territory of Bulgaria from an orange zone country, regardless of their citizenship, are admitted to Bulgaria on presentation of an EU Digital COVID Certificate or a similar document containing the same data as the EU Digital COVID Certificate with the proof that a person has either been vaccinated against COVID-19, received a negative test result or recovered from COVID-19. At least 5 percent of all entrants from orange zone countries will be tested for COVID-19 with a rapid antigen test.
Orange zone countries
All countries outside the green and red zone.
List of countries whose COVID-19 vaccination, testing and disease certificates are considered equivalent to the EU Digital COVID Certificate:
North Macedonia, San Marino, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City
Vaccines accepted by Bulgaria:
- Janssen (1 dose)
- Sputnik V
- Covishield (AstraZeneca)
- SK Bioscience (AstraZeneca)
Bulgaria also accepts the combination of the AstraZeneca (1st dose) and Pfizer (2nd dose) vaccines.
Rapid antigen tests accepted by Bulgaria:
- Panbio COVID-19 Ag Rapid Test (Abbott Rapid Diagnostics)
- COVID-VIRO Rapid antigen test COVID-19 (AAZ-LMB)
- Flowflex SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (ACON Laboratories, Inc.)
- AESKU.RAPID SARS-CoV-2 (AESKU.DIAGNOSTI CS GmbH & Co, KG A)
- AMP Rapid Test SARS-CoV-2 Ag (AMEDA Labordiagnostik GmbH)
- Novel Coronavirus 2019- nCoV Antigen Test (Colloidal Gold) (Beijing Hotgen Biotech Co., Ltd.)
- SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test Kit (Beijing Lepu Medical Technology)
- BIOSYNEX COVID-19 Ag BSS (BIOSYNEX SWISS SA)
- CerTest SARS-CoV-2 CARD TEST (CerTest Biotect S.L.)
- Coretests COVID-19 Ag Test (Core Technology Co., Ltd)
- DIAQUICK COVID -19 Ag Cassette (DIALAB GmbH)
- GENEDIA W COVID-19 Ag (Green Cross Medical Science Corp)
- Wondfo 2019-nCoV Antigen Test (Lateral Flow Method) (Guangzhou Wondfo Biotech Co., Ltd)
- Clungene COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kit (Hangzhou Clongene Biotech)
- Coronavirus Ag Rapid Test Cassette (Healgen Scientific Limited)
- HUMASIS COVID-19 Ag test (Humasis Co. Ltd)
- COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test (Colloidal Gold) (Joinstar Biomedical Technology Co. Ltd)
- QuickProfile COVID-19 ANTIGEN Test (LumiQuick Diagnostics Inc.)
- LumiraDx SARS-CoV-2 Ag Test (LumiraDX UK Ltd)
- MEDsan SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (MEDsan GmbH)
- Rapid SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Test Card (MP Biomedicals)
- NADAL COVID -19 Ag Test (nal von minden GmbH)
- PCL COVID19 Ag Rapid FIA (PCL Inc.)
- Sofia 2 SARS Antigen FIA (Quidel Corporation)
- BIOCREDIT COVID-19 Ag – SARS-CoV 2 Antigen test (Rapigen Inc)
- SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (Roche (SD BIOSENSOR))
- COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kit (Safecare Biotech Hangzhou Co)
- STANDARD F COVID-19 Ag FIA (SD BIOSENSOR, Inc.)
- STANDARD Q COVID-19 Ag Test (SD BIOSENSOR, Inc.)
- SARS-COV-2 Antigen test Kit (colloidal gold) (Shenzen UltraDiagnostics Biotec Co)
- SARS-CoV-2 Ag Diagnostic Test Kit (Colloidal Gold) (Shenzhen Watmind Medical Co., Ltd)
- CLINITEST Rapid COVID-19 Antigen Test (Siemens Healthineers)
- TODA CORONADIAG Ag (TODA PHARMA)
- Rapid SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Test card (Xiamen Boson Biotech Co)
- Coronavirus Ag Rapid Test Cassette (Zhejiang Orient Gene Biotech Co.Ltd)
Current restrictions and anti-epidemic measures in Bulgaria
- Restaurants and casinos can only operate between 07:00 and 23:00. Up to 6 guests are allowed per table.
- Cultural and entertainment events (concerts, theaters, cinemas, stage events etc.) are allowed with up to 50% of the venue’s total capacity and by keeping a physical distance of 1.5 m. Wearing face masks is also mandatory. At concerts, festivals, theaters, circus shows and other stage events only seating places can be used. Mass events, such as festivals and fairs (where seating is not allocated), are suspended.
- Museums and art galleries must not allow more than 1 visitor per 8 sq m in their premises. Keeping a physical distance of 1.5 m and wearing face masks are mandatory.
- Private events, such as weddings and baptisms, are allowed with up to 30 participants indoors or 60 participants outdoors.
- Stores and other on-site services must not allow more than 1 customer per 8 sq m in their premises.
- All markets and bazaars, both open-air and indoors, must create one-way traffic opportunity for customers and provide a distance of 1.5 m between visitors. No more than 1 customer per 8 sq m can be allowed. Workers and customers are all required to wear face masks.
- Congresses, conferences, seminars and similar public events are allowed with up to 30% of the venue’s total capacity, with a maximum of 30 participants and by keeping a physical distance of 1.5 m. Wearing face masks is also mandatory.
- Visiting outdoor sports events is allowed using up to 30% of the venue’s total capacity. Only every third seat can be allocated. Keeping a physical distance of 1.5 m and wearing face masks are mandatory. Indoor sports events must be held without spectators.
- Gyms, medical spas and wellness centers can operate with up to 30% of their total capacity and by keeping a physical distance of 1.5 m between guests.
Please note that this page tells only about the conditions of traveling to Bulgaria. Before planning your trip, please check the regulations of your home country for travelers returning from Bulgaria as you might have to self-quarantine or present a negative test after arriving back home from Bulgaria.
Disclaimer: We try our best to deliver accurate and up to date information about the coronavirus situation in Bulgaria. However, we can’t guarantee that the information you find on this page is always fully accurate as rules and restrictions can change on a daily basis.
Data source: https://coronavirus.bg/bg/ (available only in Bulgarian)